As the work made rapid progress, the church grew in character and membership, the Synod of the Presbyterian Church in Assam was constituted in 1926 as the highest Church Court having two constituent Assemblies viz. Khasi Jaintia Presbyterian Church Assembly and Lushai Assembly.
- In 1953, the highest Church Court the ‘Synod’ was renamed ‘Assembly’ while each of the constituent Assemblies was called Synod.
- In 1968, the name Presbyterian Church of Assam was changed to the Presbyterian Church of North-East India (PCNEI).
- In 1992, the name ‘Presbyterian Church of India’ was adopted.
- In 2002, the highest Church Court the ‘Assembly’ was renamed to the ‘General Assembly’ of the Presbyterian Church of India.